When to See an Infertility Specialist

If you have been trying to conceive for one year and have not been successful, and the female partner is under the age of 35, it is time to seek care with a reproductive endocrinologist. If you have been trying to conceive unsuccessfully for 6 months and the female partner is between the ages of 35-39, it’s also advisable to seek the care of a reproductive endocrinologist. 

If the female partner is 40 years or older, it is recommended that they seek evaluation & care even before attempts at pregnancy.

Certainly, these guidelines pertain only if menstrual cycles are regular. Special other situations maynecessitate the care of a specialist: family history of early menopause (45 years or younger), a history of pelvic inflammatory disease, and moderate to severe stages of endometriosis.  Many gynecologists can manage patients with polycystic ovarian syndrome, but more severe cases may require the care of a reproductive endocrinologist.

If a male partner has ever been told that he will most likely have difficulty in establishing pregnancies, a specialist appointment is advisable. These conditions could be undescended testicles, exposure to chemotherapy or radiation or mumps as an adolescent.

Certainly, same sex couples or patients with a history of a vasectomy or tubal ligation are candidates for immediate specialty care.

Patients can make appointments with an infertility specialist at any time. A referral is not necessary. If a patient is referred from another physician, it is recommended that medical records are sent ahead of time especially if any infertility testing has been carried out by the gynecologist, urologist or family physician.


For more information or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lisa Hasty or any of ACRM’s other fertility experts call 678-841-1089 or click here.